Monday, July 27, 2009

Deal of the Century!

In a very sketchy basement-of-the-liquor-store deal Friday night (literally, I had to go into the basement of a liquor store!) I became the proud owner of...


Two unbelievable hand-carved wood chairs from India! (pay no attention to the fabric, the fabric will be changing!)

Let's take a closer look at these, shall we?

The story: I saw an ad on Craigslist for hand carved wood chairs recently imported from India. They were listed by an Indian food and spice store in Cambridge that we are quite familiar with. The pictures looked intriguing, though they were mostly fuzzy, so I wasn't sure. But I couldn't stop thinking about them!

So I casually mentioned to Hubby once or twice (an hour) that maybe we should check it out. After a few hours he finally said, "Fine, give me the phone and I'll find out what the deal is." So he called, verified that they are indeed normal sized dining chairs, and in fact were being sold for less than the original listed price! So we got all dolled up and headed into Cambridge for a little dinner and shopping.

When we arrived at the Indian grocery store and asked about the chairs we were redirected to the store next door. The liquor store.
In the liquor store the clerk had someone lead us through the wine racks into the back room, around the corner and down the stairs to where they were storing probably 30 or 40 of these chairs, all stacked up on each other. So we dug in and started sorting through the different colors, different designs, wobbly chairs and chairs missing pieces altogether and finally came away with these two matching beauties in (almost) perfect shape!


Okay, so the punchline? I acquired these babies for $20 apiece!!

YES!!! Hee hee hee...

No comments: