Friday, December 11, 2009

The (imperfect) Tree!

So okay, I still haven't figured out how to make the tree look just how I want. But seeing as how December is creeping by, I thought I ought to share it with you before Christmas has passed!


With this year's pink walls I veered away from the red and green traditional tree and went in for silver and gold (except for Santa tucked away there, of course!) It's a tree full of last year's after-Christmas discount items and all those collected and made since college.

I started with a base of white lights, then wound a two inch wide gold ribbon all around the tree. Well, 3/4 of the way, it ran out about a foot before the bottom! But I filled in with sundry other things... that's the way of decorations, isn't it?

For the topper I used the star Mom found for me last year and surrounded it with these super-sparkly silver branches from Joanne's florals (75% off, of course!) For the skirt (since the red one I used last year didn't look right), I used a gold tablecloth.

In this shot you can see the rug we're using out of sheer desperation for some coziness- it was a good quality hand-me-down that just happens to look AWFUL with our decor! Hopefully that will change soon...
So my problem with the tree at this point is that with all that sparkliness up top, there just isn't enough on the main part of the tree!

Don't you think? I mean, it's looking good... and the silver presents under it are helping, but I think it can look better! What I think I really want is old traditional silver tinsel, but you know with the cats, can't have that! So I'm hoping to find some sprouting out from the end of a branch or wand or something so the cats can't choke on it.

Well anyhoo, that's what I have for now, I'll let you know if I find what I'm looking for!

No comments: