Monday, November 9, 2009

Halloween Costume

So... I'm a bit slow... but you know, it takes awhile to remember to plug the camera into the computer.... yeah... I'm going with that one...
Anyhoo!
I was all set with a costume for Halloween this year! When my mom moved across country this summer she did a serious closet purge. Among the things in the "go" pile was a dress she had made way back when she and my step-dad used to do civil war re-enactments. (Yeah, you know, those weekends where the ladies lace themselves up in corsets and hoop skirts and the men camp in tiny tents in a field and then pretend to shoot each other? We did that.) So I, of course, grabbed that outfit up!

Mom made all her outfits herself- she was a seamstress for many years. She made the underskirt, the topcoat, the hat, the "pocket"...

She made the cape, and the undershirt whose lace you can see peeking out around the neckline...

Check out that bustle!
I got a ton of compliments. Unfortunately I had on 4 layers of clothes and this was the first 70 degree Halloween here in Massachusetts that I remember in my entire life! It took all my resolve not to end up walking around the party we went to in my undergarments! Of course, being in civil-war appropriate undergarments meant that I still would have had more on than some of the other gals out that night...
But you know, the principle and all...
This next photo is for my mother. I emailed her some test shots a few days before Halloween to make sure I had everything on right, and she said it all looked good, but she couldn't see any cleavage and that was a necessary part of the outfit.

Look Ma- boobs! It took a push-up bra, inserts, AND a corset, but I found some!! HA!

This was a very fun costume- I think it'll stay in the rotation!

No comments: