Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Shattered Nails No More!

A couple of winters ago my nails started performing this new and obnoxious trick where almost the moment they grew beyond the quick, they split and chipped right back down. Not fun.

About a month ago SlimPaley complained about the same affliction on her blog, (which is pretty great, by the way) to which one of her readers responded by recommending a Biotin supplement. She swore by it, and I thought, why not?
The next time I was in Target I swung by the pharmacy aisle to see what the price was and whether it was worth the gamble. Well, let me tell you, 100 pills, one a day, at $1.94? That's a price I'm willing to bet on! So I bought this one:

And I have to say that it's been a little miracle worker! In just about a month and a half, my nails went from 12-year-old-boy-like, to this:

You know, it's really hard to take a picture of your own nails without looking all wrinkly...

These babies have even been filed down shorter! Without even the extra help of clear polish (let alone the number of hard-as-nails type products I'd been trying for a couple of years), the Biotin supplement worked wonders. I'm hoping that once they've had time to completely grow out that the little ridges in the last two nails will go away. But even if they don't, I'm pretty darn happy!

So, seriously, if you have this problem (Mom!), go out and get yourself some Biotin supplements!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks Meg.
I will try it. BTW Biotin should not be take if you are trying to get pregnant. I know I know....