Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Elegant Dog Dishes- DIY

It seems like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it? Dog dishes, elegant? No...
Well, while shopping for a nice looking raised bowl for our new large dog, I found a few very attractive options on www.ohmydogsupplies.com. (Gotta love the name, huh?)
I thought these bowls were simply stunning, and perfect for the look I'm going for in my kitchen makeover!

But the prices ($49.95 for the 5", $87.95 for the 9.5", and $129.95 for 13.25") were pretty stunning, too! Even I couldn't justify that much. (I know, because tried...)

I also quite liked this somewhat more reasonably priced option:


But for $44.95-$73.95, it was still a bit more than I wanted to spend. $59.95 for the 9.25 inch red one was awfully tempting, though!

Me being me, however, I of course though to myself, "I bet I could make something like that for way less..." So, a-shopping I went!

First I found this stainless steal bowl at Walmart for I think $4.44. (it was $4.something)


With that tapered bottom and generous lip, it was like it was designed to hang inside of something! So I bought that and headed over to Home Goods to see if they had a pretty pot it might sit inside of.

Lo and behold, I found this 12" tall beauty:


For $16.99! And that Walmart bowl sits inside it like they were made for each other!

It's the perfect height for Tembo:


And even Toby gets up on his tiptoes and drinks from it!


So maybe my version isn't quite as ornate as the OhMyDog version,

But for a savings of $108.52, I like mine just fine!!


Total fancy dog bowl cost: $21.43. YAHOO!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually like yours better !

Unknown said...

Hello Meg,
This is Nida...Hope you are well.
Mother and I loved all the pics and your pets!!